Monday, November 21, 2011

Easy as PIE??

So, it's the Monday before Thanksgiving, and I am locked IN the house with all four kiddos.  We have a dense fog advisory, I woke up late, had a hard time getting things around this morning, and at 7:30 (when we normally are walking out the door), the younger two were still asleep!!  So twenty minutes later, we are all ready to leave and I look to the hook where I hang my keys.....and they weren't there.  Ugh.  Which meant they were out in the van in our bag with our bag for church.  This was further complicated by the fact that our garage is technically unattached to our house.  We have a breezeway between the house and garage, so there are two doors, both locked, between me and my keys.  Oh, and our locks are the ones where you have to have the key for both sides of the lock!

We have lived here a little over a year, and I haven't yet found a good place to put spare keys.  I searched and searched looking for the spare house keys, and couldn't find them!  During this time, my two older kids were wanting to get to school and the younger two were grumping!  So I gave up, called the school and put the younger two back in bed.  C was upset that he wasn't going to get to eat his special pumpkin pie at school today, so we had pie at 9 AM!

C is allergic to wheat and egg whites, so cooking can be difficult at times.  But, his ADHD symptoms have improved dramatically since we have removed the allergens from his diet.  I try to make snacks for school for him so he doesn't feel "left out."  But being 4 years old, he understands that he feels better eating special food and so he doesn't feel left out.  They were going to have pumpkin pie at school today, so I set out to find a recipe over the weekend.

I found several recipes, but many included ingredients I don't have yet, or included egg, and I don't think egg replacer would have worked.  Then, eureka!!  I found a dairy-free, egg-free coconut-pumpkin pie at http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/gluten-free-tuesday-dairy-free-egg-free-cocon.html !  And it's NO BAKE!!  Wow!!  And I had all of the ingredients, some just needed a little help.

I had bought a coconut last week just to try.  I found an awesome tutorial at http://thenaughtyvegan.com/how-to-open-a-coconut.htm on opening the coconut and http://thenaughtyvegan.com/how-to-shred-coconut.htm for shredding the coconut.  Super easy and yummy!  I did this last Thursday and wasn't sure how I was going to use it, so I put the shredded coconut and the coconut water back in the fridge.  And the coconut halves are by my craft area for something in the future.

So fast forward to last night and this pie recipe...  It calls for coconut MILK.  Hmmm, didn't have any, but I had remembered seeing how to make it.  I couldn't use the recipe on thenaughtyvegan.com because I didn't have a young coconut, but figured I could find another recipe, and I did.  http://nourishedkitchen.com/how-to-make-coconut-milk/  Again, super easy, and that's great.  Now I still have the pulverized coconut for later use...

Now I had all my ingredients.....almost.  Ugh, no pumpkin pie spice.  http://www.food.com/recipe/substitution-for-pumpkin-pie-spice-107059 came to the rescue.  So I scaled the amount for what the pie needed and realized I had no ginger.  Hmmm.  Well, no ginger then.  So I just added a little extra of the allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg and made the pie.  And the pie was done quickly.  I poured a little into several small bowls with lids and tossed them into the fridge.

So, how did the pie taste?  Fabulous!!  It tasted just like normal pumpkin pie without the crust (which I don't really like anyway...)  It was a hit!!  And now we have several mini pumpkin pies for all of our Thanksgiving get-togethers later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment